Thursday, April 24, 2008

on writing

I've been putting off writing about writing because I haven't been writing.
Writing is a business, just like any other business, and people start throwing around monetary figures your way and you start thinking about how much money could "Potentially" be made, it's easy to lose focus.
I think it happened to me. I want to quit my day job so I can stay home with my son and write full time-in the meanwhile, though Bills have to be paid. I've so stressed about how to make money at writing, that I forgot the reason why I write to begin with.
I write because I love the written word. I love to be told a great story and to tell one. I love the way a book feels in my hands, the way a book smells, the way the words roll of my tongue. I love the red ink on my manuscript.
I write because I'm a writer-and it's good to be reminded of it.

3 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

I tagged you for a meme.

Linda McLaughlin said...

I hear you on losing the focus, but I gotta tell you, I've been published for a while and there's not that much money in it for most of us. You really have to do it because you love it, because the day job is probably going to be more lucrative. Sigh.

Btw, I really like the look of your blog and love the picture of you in Dublin. I'd like to go there some day, too. :)

Linda
http://flightsafancy.blogspot.com/

Travis Erwin said...

Being tagged for a meme means you are suppsoed to go to that persons blog. Look at the psot where they tagged you and then basicaly mick the assignment. The one I tagged you for involves posting six ramdom facts about yourself.